Wednesday, January 16, 2013

‘Unapologetically Honest’ Wall Street Bosses Call This 'The Best Cover Letter Ever'





The phrase "honesty is the best policy" probably wasn't coined by someone trying to land a job on Wall Street.  But one finance major from an "average university" decided to give frankness a shot in his cover letter to a "boutique investment bank"…. His letter is transcribed below, courtesy of Forbes:

"My name is [redacted] and I am an undergraduate finance student at [redacted]. I met you the summer before last at Smith & Wollensky's in New York when I was touring the east coast with my uncle, [redacted]. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to talk with me that night.

"I am writing to inquire about a possible summer internship in your office. I am aware it is highly unusual for undergraduates from average universities like [redacted] to intern at [redacted], but nevertheless I was hoping you might make an exception. I am extremely interested in investment banking and would love nothing more than to learn under your tutelage. I have no qualms about fetching coffee, shining shoes or picking up laundry, and will work for next to nothing. In all honesty, I just want to be around professionals in the industry and gain as much knowledge as I can.

"I won't waste your time inflating my credentials, throwing around exaggerated job titles, or feeding you a line of crapp (sic) about how my past experiences and skill set align perfectly for an investment banking internship. The truth is I have no unbelievably special skills or genius eccentricities, but I do have a near perfect GPA and will work hard for you. I've interned for Merrill Lynch in the Wealth Management Division and taken an investment banking class at [redacted], for whatever that is worth……"



No comments:

Post a Comment