Saturday, January 19, 2013

Weird’s Deep Thoughts (Saturday Inspiration Edition) An Open Letter To Anyone Considering A MBA



From BI/WallStreetOasis: There has been a lot of recent discussion on these forums as well as in the media regarding the value of an MBA. As a longtime member of the community and someone who recently made the decision to pursue an MBA, I thought I’d share some thoughts.
...
Despite the fact that I am on a partner track without having an MBA, I made the choice to pursue b-school. I’ll have six years of experience when I matriculate this fall. I am very happy in my current job and will likely pursue very similar opportunities upon graduating. I won’t be receiving any employer sponsorship nor have I been guaranteed a position when I graduate. I’ll be attending one of the M7 schools (not H/S/W – they all rejected me).

First of all, I don’t think an MBA makes sense for everyone. It ultimately comes down to a combination of career path, adversity to risk, financial situation, geography, etc. There is no one-size fits all formula; you’ll need to decide for yourself if it is a good fit for you. There is also no hard and fast line for which MBA programs are worth it and which ones are not. For some people, only Harvard/Stanford/Wharton are worth it. For others, a top 50 program could be the boost they need to get on the right track. Ignore any discussion where people try to value an individual school without regard to the applicant’s individual circumstances.

Many people cite the cost of an MBA, combined with the opportunity cost, as the single biggest reason that it is “not worth it.” For me, the cost was never a consideration…..

No comments:

Post a Comment