Monday, October 31, 2011

Madoff's wife, son deny knowing about scheme


The wife and son of financial swindler Bernard Madoff said in their first interview to be broadcast on Sunday that they knew nothing of his estimated $65 billion Ponzi scheme, but feel shame for his "unforgivable" crime, MSNBC reports

Defrauded Madoff investors have long viewed the convicted swindler's sons, wife and other family member suspiciously, arguing it is impossible that they did not know about his lies. No family members have been criminally charged.

Madoff's younger son Andrew told the CBS program "60 Minutes" that the family was shocked when his sobbing father confessed his crime to them in December 2008. He said his mother Ruth's first question was "What's a Ponzi scheme?"

"She didn't even understand that. I think it was me who answered and said that "It means that it's all fake,'" Andrew Madoff said. "(Bernard Madoff) followed that up and said 'Yes, I've been lying to all of you — all of these years. I've been lying to everybody. I've been lying to myself.'"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45097092/ns/business-us_business/#.Tq5RWd6a9Ic

No comments:

Post a Comment